What is Yearn Finance (YFI): The DeFi Yield Aggregator
This blog post will cover:
- What is Yearn Finance (YFI)?
- Yearn Finance (YFI) price, supply and Market cap
- Yearn Finance - How Does it Work
- Blockchain Yearn Finance (YFI) operates on
- How To Use Yearn Finance (YFI)
- What Makes Yearn Finance Unique?
- Who created Yearn Finance?
- History of Yearn Finance
- How Is Yearn Finance (YFI) Different To
- Advantages of Yearn Finance
- Disadvantages of Yearn Finance
- How Is the Yearn Finance Coin Secured?
- Buying Yearn Finance (YFI)
- How to Stake Yearn Finance (YFI)
- How to Mine Yearn Finance (YFI)
- Yearn Finance Roadmap
- Future of Yearn Finance
- The Bottom Line
Disclaimer: SimpleSwap reminds you that this article is provided for informational purposes only and does not provide investment advice. All purchases and cryptocurrency investments are your own responsibility.
Today, we set the goal to consider the majority of nuances of Yearn Finance (YFI) - the groundbreaking way to handle the decentralized finance (DeFi) realm. This article answers the question of what Yearn Finance is, shedding light on distinctive features - automated yield farming functionalities, approach to handling risks, smooth integration and communication with diverse DeFi players. It’s also highlighting why the YFI token is an irreplaceable part of the entire ecosystem, operating as Yearn Finance's native token for voting either in favor or against certain decisions about the future development. Furthermore, we mention recent coin statistics, provide analysis for the platform's mixed consensus algorithm. Whether you're an experienced investor, a newcomer or just interested in the DeFi world, our mission is simple - enrich one’s comprehension of Yearn Finance and the difference it brings about for decentralized finance. Keep on reading to explore the complex nature of the project and learn more about it.
- Yearn Finance serves the function of an automated yield aggregator, mostly through smart contract technology - usually, it helps to autonomously choose lucrative strategies for cryptocurrency enthusiasts within diverse DeFi solutions. Its primary offerings encompass yVaults, yCRV, and yBribe, giving one access to interest-bearing, Curve-based coins, veCRV voting power auctioning.
- Yearn's governance mechanism relies on their own token, YFI, which is equitably allocated between early adopters. Despite the founder no longer being there to lead the project, Yearn is still evolving at a fast pace, extending the reach to other chains and layer 2 solutions - all this with approval of the stakeholders (ecosystem participants).
- Yearn's approach - consolidating reward-generating opportunities which are popular in DeFi protocols (Curve, Compound, Maker, Aave). This simplifies the process of yield farming, ensuring users can effortlessly access the most attractive strategies available.
What is Yearn Finance (YFI)?
The initial inquiry usually centers around learning what is Yearn Finance crypto. YFI sets itself apart as an open-source decentralized finance platform, deeply interconnected into the Ethereum blockchain ecosystem. Having gained swift recognition in the cryptocurrency sphere, it provides users with a number of benefits, which will be discussed in more details further on. Notably, the platform allows for smooth money transfers among the most profitable DeFi lending protocols, ensuring optimal returns.
Yearn Finance is also proficient in risk management, mostly by employing tools for automated stabilization features - for instance, liquidity pools or optimization of asset dimensions. Leveraging the Ethereum blockchain as a central hub for diverse DeFi applications, Yearn Finance actively collaborates with these protocols to enhance overall returns. Whether one is interested in automated savings accounts, or simply looking for alternative yield farming strategies, Yearn Finance often becomes a choice for investors, no matter of their experience level. With this platform, they can access high-return investment opportunities.
For those inquisitive about what is YFI, the short answer is - it’s a native coin of the platform, with following distinctive features:
- Functioning as a governance token, YFI gives its holders the power to engage in voting on various proposals considered by developers.
- Introduced in July 2020, YFI is a comparatively new player in the cryptocurrency landscape.
- Exhibiting significant growth in popularity, it has risen to prominence among DeFi cryptocurrencies, as evidenced by its market capitalization.
Yearn Finance (YFI) price, supply and Market cap
|33, 253 YFI
Yearn Finance - How Does it Work
Yearn Finance is meticulously crafted to autonomously allocate user funds to the most lucrative providers, identifying protocols which provide the maximum annual percentage yield (APY). Serving as a profit aggregator, it optimizes user investments by dynamically reallocating funds across diverse DeFi lending protocols such as Compound, Dydx, Curve, or Aave. Grasping the essence of what is Yearn.finance is pivotal for comprehending the nuances of the ecosystem in general, founded on key concepts that underpin its functionality.
One of Yearn's inaugural features, Earn focuses on automatically allocating funds among protocols like dYdX, AAVE, and Compound. This allocation is based on interest rate fluctuations between platforms, ensuring users consistently enjoy the best possible rates.
An integral function within Yearn Finance, Zap empowers users to deposit nearly any token into any vault. This allows users invested in stablecoins like USDC, USDT, and DAI on Curve Finance to seamlessly switch between provided liquidity pools. With a simple click, users can convert their stablecoins into any cryptocurrency and deposit them into Yearn.finance's vaults.
Annual Percentage Yield (APY) serves as a metric utilized by Yearn Finance to scan through the lending protocols employed by Earn. It offers users an estimate of the interest they can anticipate earning on an annualized basis. The interest accrued on deposits is subject to continuous fluctuations based on prevailing market conditions.
Vaults within Yearn Finance operate as staking pools within the Yearn protocol, generating viable returns for investors based on market opportunities. When tokens are put into a vault, users receive yTokens, which can be redeemed for the underlying tokens. Vaults can implement multiple active strategies simultaneously.
Proof of Work is famously, widely used in blockchain networks. Those undertaking the role of miners are responsible for solving maths problems of different complexities, all this - in order to validate transactions and create new blocks as a result. The initial miner to successfully solve the problem is granted the privilege of appending a new block to the blockchain and receives a reward in the network's native cryptocurrency. Bitcoin serves as a notable illustration of a cryptocurrency employing the PoW framework.
Proof of Stake is another consensus algorithm popular amongst Crypto World. In cryptocurrencies utilizing the Proof of Stake (PoS) consensus algorithm, the selection of the individual creating a new block is determined by their wealth or stake in a predictable manner. Unlike in Proof of Work (PoW), there is no reward given for adding a block; instead, participants earn transaction fees. This is why individuals engaged in the process of creating new blocks in PoS are occasionally referred to as stakeholders.
Blockchain Yearn Finance (YFI) operates on
When thinking of the concept of Yearn Finance explained, it's essential to underscore that YFI operates on the Ethereum blockchain—a decentralized and open-source platform tailored for smart contracts. Choosing this blockchain brings forth several crucial advantages for Yearn Finance:
- Smart Contract Support: Ethereum's inherent ability to handle smart contracts empowers Yearn Finance for construction of sophisticated DeFi solutions. Smart contracts, which act as self-executing agreements with terms encoded in code, enable trustless and automated transactions within the Yearn Finance ecosystem.
- Interoperability: operating on the Ethereum blockchain, Yearn Finance benefits from a wide range of DeFi applications, cultivating an interconnected financial ecosystem. This facilitates smooth interactions with other protocols like Aave, Compound, and Curve, optimizing returns for its users.
- Security: being one of the most extensive and well-established blockchain networks, Ethereum offers a secure foundation for the operations of Yearn Finance. The robust security features play a substantial role in safeguarding user assets and data.
- Decentralization: the assumed decentralization of Ethereum harmonizes seamlessly with Yearn Finance's goal to create a user-centric and open financial system. This guarantees that control and decision-making are distributed among participants in the network rather than being concentrated in a central authority.
- Community and Developer Support: Ethereum enjoys substantial support from a thriving community of developers and users. This dynamic ecosystem guarantees continuous development, innovation, and enhancements for the Ethereum platform, directly benefiting Yearn Finance.
How To Use Yearn Finance (YFI)
Yearn Finance introduces a product named 'zap,' streamlining and expediting the deposit process into almost any vault for a wide range of assets. Crypto enthusiasts can explore various lending pools and vaults, implementing diverse strategies to generate returns. Vaults provide users with the ability to maintain preferred assets while accumulating yields in the same asset, supporting the expansion of their holdings. YFI, a crucial element in the platform's ecosystem, serves multiple functions:
- Governance: YFI plays a governance role within Yearn Finance, enabling token holders to stake YFI and actively engage in platform-related decisions. This includes voting on proposals that impact the Yearn Finance ecosystem.
- Earning Rewards: after users cast their votes, the YFI they have staked becomes locked for a period of three days. Participants in the voting process receive a portion of protocol profits for each of Yearn's products at regular intervals, presenting an opportunity to earn rewards.
- Wallet Transactions: YFI tokens can be securely stored, sent, and received using crypto wallets compatible with Yearn Finance. For example, utilizing the Exodus Wallet enables users to seamlessly perform transactions with YFI tokens.
- Investment: Utilizing particular functionalities on platforms allows users to potentially gain a 7.01% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on their YFI deposits, offering a potential avenue for growing their investments.
What Makes Yearn Finance Unique?
Yearn Finance distinguishes itself by streamlining DeFi investments and operations, including yield farming, to cater to a broader investor audience. Through tailored tools, it acts as an aggregator for DeFi protocols like Curve, Compound, and Aave, ensuring optimal yields for cryptocurrency stakers.
Exploring the uniqueness of what is YFI crypto, let's delve into its key features:
- Decentralized Governance: one of the key characteristics of YFI - it’s governance functions, that empower holders to participate in decision-making by having their say (voting) on new initiatives that are likely to be implemented in the Yearn Finance ecosystem.
- Incentivized Participation: people have the opportunity to acquire YFI by providing liquidity to Yearn Finance's consolidated pool, fostering participation and active engagement within the platform.
- Automated Yield Optimization: leveraging YFI, Yearn Finance provides a dedicated service for optimizing profits that are used by lending providers. This involves strategically exchanging assets from one DeFi protocol to another in order to make the most returns.
- Aggregation of DeFi Protocols: Utilizing specialized systems, the platform serves as an aggregator for DeFi protocols such as Curve, Compound, and Aave. This guarantees that asset stakers attain the maximum possible yield.
- Interoperability: users of Yearn Finance experience unrestricted access to functionalities like liquidate.finance, trade.finance, iborrow.finance, and yswap.exchange, devoid of limitations or control imposed by intermediaries.
- High Returns: the platform consistently provides the most favorable annual percentage yields in comparison to various DeFi protocols, rendering it an attractive option for users seeking strong returns on their investments.
Who created Yearn Finance?
Yearn Finance came to life thanks to the independent developer Andre Cronje. It's noteworthy that Cronje neither secured funding for the project at first, nor assigned any tokens to himself prior to making yearn.finance public.
History of Yearn Finance
Yearn Finance is proud of its captivating history, marked by distinct stages which we will now talk about more - from foundations to current days.
The concept was brought about when Cronje, while exploring and analyzing various DeFi solutions to make crypto earnings easier, grew frustrated by the amount of time spent looking for the most efficient yield. This is when he decided to create a smart contract protocol using Vitalik Buterin’s platform - Ethereum - to make the process of yield rewarding more user-friendly.
For a while, the project stayed in the idea stage. It was only in July 2020 when Cronje came back to the concept and introduced Yearn Finance, its native token, accompanied by a set of other solutions that now we can’t imagine the ecosystem without today. Surprisingly, the YFI token was made public without a pre-mine, it was unavailable on partnering platforms and not even through a pre-sale. Instead, however, the token could only get their hand on it if they engaged in using the protocol. Such a fair approach to launch gave the project positive publicity, and emerged a lot of interest in the community.
Yearn Finance witnessed rapid increase in popularity, especially after a few new products were made. The YFI token's value surged from an initial launch around $30 to over $40,000 in almost 2 months, propelling its market capitalization beyond $1.3 billion. These solutions, together with a great degree of community engagement, garnered significant attention.
Yearn Finance is still constantly evolving - for instance, the founders presented new capabilities like yVaults which allow users to farm and sell tokens more efficiently with higher returns. The launch of yETH, a yVault allowing users to deposit ETH as collateral to borrow DAI for CRV farming, sparked significant enthusiasm within the community.
The major stakeholders of Yearn Finance
The key participants in Yearn Finance consist of YFI token holders. These individuals possess the authority to participate in voting on diverse proposals directly influencing the platform. The governance and supervision of the platform rest with YFI holders, facilitated by various autonomous developers. Alongside token holders, Andre Cronje, the visionary behind Yearn Finance, plays a pivotal role in its continuous evolution. Significantly, Cronje adhered to a commitment of refraining from reserving any YFI tokens for himself prior to the launch of the Yearn.finance protocol. This decision mirrors his belief that a truly decentralized blockchain-based platform should steer clear of the founder's influence, enabling the community to independently shape its future direction.
How Is Yearn Finance (YFI) Different To
Yearn Finance (YFI) stands apart from other prominent cryptocurrencies in various aspects.
Recognized as a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency, Litecoin, conceived by former Google engineer Charlie Lee, shares its origins with the Bitcoin protocol. However, it diverges in critical aspects, including the hashing algorithm used, hard cap, block transaction times, and more. In sharp contrast, Yearn Finance surpasses the limitations of a conventional cryptocurrency, evolving into a comprehensive decentralized finance (DeFi) ecosystem.
Cardano positions itself as a blockchain platform with aspirations to become the global financial operating system, similar to Ethereum, by establishing decentralized financial products. With its unique block explorer and a distinctive proof-of-stake consensus algorithm named Ouroboros, Cardano operates in a manner distinctly different from Yearn Finance. While Yearn Finance operates on the Ethereum blockchain and employs a DeFi protocol, Cardano emphasizes a structured approach and prioritizes peer-reviewed research in its endeavors.
Polkadot distinguishes itself by enabling cross-blockchain transfers of various data and assets, extending beyond tokens. This distinguishes it from Yearn Finance, which primarily focuses on yield optimization for supported tokens. The relay chain of Polkadot facilitates the operation of multiple chains within a single network, allowing for parallel processing of numerous transactions across chains. This stands in contrast to Yearn Finance's approach, which centers on optimizing yield through a single-chain DeFi protocol.
Advantages of Yearn Finance
Yearn Finance offers several advantages to users:
- Automated Yield Farming: Yearn Finance effortlessly directs users' funds among the most profitable decentralized finance (DeFi) lending protocols, guaranteeing optimal returns on investments.
- Ease of Use: with its intuitive design, Yearn Finance eliminates the necessity for users to possess prior technical knowledge. Earning with Yearn Finance is easily accessible and straightforward, enabling users to commence generating returns promptly.
- Risk Management: Yearn Finance places a strong emphasis on risk management through automated stabilization features like liquidity pools and optimized asset dimensions. These mechanisms contribute to establishing a more secure and stable financial environment for users.
Disadvantages of Yearn Finance
However, despite its appeal to specific user groups, Yearn Finance comes with certain disadvantages:
- Market Volatility: like all cryptocurrencies, the value of YFI may experience significant volatility, presenting potential challenges for users navigating market fluctuations.
- Smart Contract Risk: despite undergoing audits, Yearn Finance is not immune to the inherent risk of smart contract bugs. While efforts are made to ensure security, there remains a possibility of vulnerabilities that could impact users.
- Regulatory Risk: similar to all decentralized finance (DeFi) protocols, Yearn Finance is exposed to regulatory risk. Potential changes in regulations could influence the platform's operations and pose challenges for users navigating evolving legal landscapes.
How Is the Yearn Finance Coin Secured?
Operating on the Ethereum blockchain, Yearn Finance leverages the security provided by a network of nodes executing Ethereum software. The platform employs smart contracts, which are self-executing agreements with terms embedded directly into the code. This configuration ensures that transactions adhere to predetermined conditions, eliminating the necessity for intermediaries. Nevertheless, it is essential to acknowledge that, despite undergoing audits, Yearn Finance cannot be affirmed as entirely risk-free, given the inherent uncertainties associated with decentralized finance (DeFi).
Buying Yearn Finance (YFI)
If you want to become an owner of the Yearn Finance cryptocurrency- head to SimpleSwap and follow these instructions:
- For example, you want to swap BTC for YFI. Select the currency you want to exchange (e.g. BTC) in the first drop-down list. Then enter the amount you want to swap.
- Select YFI in the second drop-down list. You’ll see the estimated amount that you’ll get after the exchange.
- Click the Exchange button.
- Enter the Recipient's Address. YFI will be sent. Be careful and make sure you use the correct address.
- Create the exchange.
- You will see the Bitcoin deposit address. You need to transfer the necessary amount of BTC to this address to start the BTC to YFI exchange.
How to Stake Yearn Finance (YFI)
To participate in YFI staking, you deposit your YFI tokens into the Yearn Finance contracts that operate on the Balancer and Curve DeFi trading platforms. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to stake YFI:
- Install a cryptocurrency wallet and deposit your YFI into the account.
- Select a validator and stake your YFI.
Always remember that staking carries inherent risks, and it is crucial to conduct thorough research before staking your tokens.
How to Mine Yearn Finance (YFI)
Unlike traditional mining methods observed in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or Ethereum, Yearn Finance (YFI) employs a distinct approach. The YFI tokens were allocated through a method referred to as "yield farming" or "liquidity mining”. In this case, fans of the token can earn even more of them by providing liquidity to the Yearn Finance platform. It's essential to emphasize that the overall supply of YFI is capped at 30,000 tokens, and all of them have already been distributed. Consequently, the conventional mining model associated with other cryptocurrencies does not apply to YFI.
Yearn Finance Roadmap
Yearn Finance is still one of the pioneers in novel ideas, regularly unveiling additional features to elevate the product. In the next year, the team behind YFI unveiled their plans to introduce "liquid staking derivatives," a concept where the underlying tokens would bring rewards within Ethereum's Proof-of-Stake (PoS). Such strategic initiatives highlight Yearn Finance's proactive approach to discovering and implementing unknown before possibilities and strategies to maximize yield. Ultimately, all efforts are aimed at supplying the community with the most value and benefit.
Future of Yearn Finance
Yearn Finance's future outlook appears upbeat, backed by diverse price predictions, expert analyses, and trustworthy materials. Projections indicate a significant rise in the price of YFI, especially in the years after 2023. By the year 2030, there is a chance that Yearn.Finance (YFI) will undergo a relatively high spike in value - for up to around 500%. This will result in the coin rising to an estimated maximum of $101,085. However, it is always a good idea to acknowledge the uncertain nature of these forecasts. Very likely, the future of Yearn Finance is shaped by factors like market behavior, regulatory shifts, the overall moods and changes in the latest technology.
The Bottom Line
After conducting a thorough Yearn Finance review, one can clearly see that the project impacted DeFi in a way that is yet to be fully realized - this is because Yearn finance became a novel word in optimizing yields, employing a convenient centralized place. However, overlooking the obvious risks, the benefits and awards gained from the project seem to outweigh its costs. Just like any investment, individuals contemplating participation should engage in comprehensive research and take time to investigate the potential risks. Promising trajectory of Yearn Finance must be assessed taking into account how volatile the digital currencies market is. As a result, one should always stay alert and informed, and make any important decisions with personal assessment of risks and financial milestones.
Here are some of the most popular questions about the project.
What does Yearn Finance do?
Yearn Finance can be described as a suite of protocols functioning on the Ethereum blockchain, allowing users to maximize their crypto asset returns through lending and trading services. The platform provides a range of decentralized finance (DeFi) products designed to offer a simple way for depositors to generate risk-adjusted returns on a variety of assets.
Is Yearn Finance decentralized?
Indeed, Yearn Finance operates in a decentralized manner. It provides its services exclusively through code, removing the need for a financial intermediary like a bank or custodian. All of its protocols operate on the Ethereum blockchain.
Who owns Yearn Finance?
The inception of Yearn Finance can be attributed to the efforts of independent developer Andre Cronje in 2020. Notably, Cronje undertook the initiative without obtaining any funding for the Yearn Finance protocol and, significantly, reserved no tokens for himself before the protocol's launch. This distinctive approach sets Yearn Finance apart from the common practice in DeFi projects, where securing investments from venture funds is typical before assembling a development team.
What network is YFI on?
YFI, the native token of Yearn Finance, operates on the Ethereum blockchain.